Sunday, May 17, 2009

Doneskis...

I did it... I'm doneskis (slang word for you Dr. T)...  

Being that I won't be able to actually update you all as to my last week of school, I decided to take a few minutes before I hit the road to tell you a bit about what graduation has done for me this past weekend.  In the midst of being incredibly busy in preparing for summer and next fall, I still have some time to think, but no available internet access at my house...  

I've learned from being in the south for four years that a college degree can't make you sound "smart"... there are plenty of graduates who stay true to their roots and make sufficient use of phrases like "you might could..." or "We done did it..."  To me that is proof enough that it isn't our education that makes us who are, but a whole lot more.  I won't try to claim to know what shapes us into the people we become, there are too many influences on our lives to pick only a few... but at the same time, I won't say that our education doesn't play a part in what shapes us, I only say that it does not define us.  Unfortunately you see a lot of people put more stock into education than they do into the actual human being...  I guess it's just a reminder that it's not where you are from, but who you are.  (Sometimes that "who you know" helps an awful lot though...)

I only think about this because I've graduated with a degree in Biology, but in no way feel like a biologist.  That's not saying that I didn't enjoy my studies at Belmont, but I've been in a place of unknowing for a long time and will probably stay their for a majority of my life.  I thank my Biology professors for helping me do well in college, particularly in biology, even though I have never really been certain of what it is that I will end up doing.  Dr. McGrew continually reminds me that "... it's okay to not know what we are going to do with the rest of our lives...  just what we are going to do next."  We have the rest of our lives to figure out what to do with the rest of our lives, which might not sound very comforting but it is.

That leads me to what's next, well soccer this summer and grad school in the fall.  And I do find comfort in somewhat knowing (while there is still a lot that is not known) what i'll be doing for the next two years.   

I have wanted to keep everyone a little bit more informed of graduation week, but about 5 days ago we turned off our cable and internet so I have to travel to get online and do my work.  But I did not want to forget to post something about graduation, and thank all of those who have already helped in supporting me in my graduation and in my trip.  I cannot thank you enough for your prayers and support.  God continues to bless me in many areas, and certainly most through my friends and family, so I am thankful to God for all of you.  

Wishing you all the best and be blessed,

-Cyrus
(be praying for my travels to California Monday through Tuesday, thanks guys!)

2 comments:

  1. Cyrus, it is true that there is a whole lot more that shapes us--our body, our mind, our behavior, and our manners. The countless influences from our family and friends in the form of their love, their care, and their responsibilities certainly have a great role in making us a better person.

    Our education is simply a guide or a valuable resource that will help us be that better person by getting us to the right destination.

    Right on with "doneskis". And, best of times in California.

    -Sachin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sachin Buddy! Thanks for the kind words and encouragement, glad to have you as a friend.

    I think that in this post I may have had a negative edge in it that I did not mean to portray, I don't wish to say that education is a negative in anyway... however, in being at Belmont I have come value the relationships made (such as with you) more than any degree I could have finished with. I hope that might clarify any misinterpretations of that last posting. Blessings friend,

    -Cyrus

    ReplyDelete