Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Spend and be spent...

These last few weeks have been life changing, and still have much farther to go on this trip.  Even before leaving my mind has been occupied with words, how we use them, and often times which ones to choose. 

These last 8 months of my have been putting together a “covertly” Christian organization, the Become a Human Project.  While my convictions and direction come from my faith and love for my creator, my heart has been unsettled about how we, or I, often make attempts to point people towards Jesus.  That is what we are called to do right?  Point people towards Jesus, tell them about our God, make disciples? 
I find this topic to be much like a love-hate relationship.  Why, when I tell people about Jesus and often include scripture verses to emails and text messages, do some people not want to hear about my God?  Why do they seem to close me out when I present them with what I call truth? Why don’t they understand that I just want to save them? Can’t they realize that they need Jesus, just like the Bible says?  Why is it that I can’t seem to forget about them either… I mean I've done my job as a good Christ follower, right?
The answer to all these questions can be found within the questions themselves, in a few key words.  Bible.  Need.  Save. Truth.  Sin.  Evil. Convert.  Heaven.  Hell. These words are not icebreakers to those who don’t share my beliefs; in fact, they often keep people from continuing the conversation or prompt them to put up their best defense mechanisms.  I don’t blame them.  There are a lot of people who have been hurt by religion.  But that doesn’t answer my question, how are we supposed to tell them who Jesus is, and how are we supposed to make disciples if people don’t want to listen to our preachy vocabulary?  Doesn’t the Bible tell me that salvation, Jesus, and its message are for everyone?
The beauty is, it is for everyone.  That is why relationship, understanding, and sensitivity are so important when exploring how we truly make disciples.  Someone who has no understanding of the Bible or its terminology are often offended by the fact that we Christians are set out to “save” people.  I want to reach the hearts of those people.  Even though they may not understand me, they should know that is not you, or me, who are doing the “saving”, but God. 

What if being “saved” could be vocalized differently, taking into account the persons cultural and religious background?  Isn’t it the same that those who are saved have found a friend in Jesus and a deeper understanding that we are image bearers of God created to do good works and make Him known?  If we put it that way, might we open up doors for conversation that all people can relate to?  It isn’t that we are hiding who God is, or who Jesus is, it is that we are beginning to understand our call to evangelism is more than saying the name of Jesus or quoting a scripture to those who don’t want to hear it. 

First we must be Jesus, we must be a friend, and we must use our gifts and talents that God has given us to make him known.  For some, that may be presenting the Gospel in culturally sensitive ways giving proper recognition to Jesus and siting scripture the whole way.  For others I think it may be presenting Jesus in a way that breaks cultural barriers and may be non-conventional and at times a little “covert”.  But the truth remains, the charge is there, we are to go and make disciples, but that doesn't mean it will be easy or the same for everyone.

Paul urges us to first be a friend, it is all over his letters and evident in his actions.   “For though I am free from all, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win more of them.  To the Jews I became as a Jew, in order to win Jews.  To those under the law (though not being myself under the law) that I might win those under the law...  To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak, I have become all things to all people, that by all means I might save some.” (I Cor 9:19-22)  Again, hey says, “So, being affectionately desirous of you, we were ready to share with you not only the gospel of God but also ourselves, because you had become very dear to us.”  (I Thes 2:8)  “I will most gladly spend and be spent for your souls.  If I love you more, am I to be loved less?”  (II Cor 12:15). 

I hope that in this I have not convinced anyone to present a watered down version of the gospel.  In fact, I hope that you have been encouraged to present the gospel in its entirety.  If we truly wish to make disciples, we have to be willing build lasting relationships with believers and nonbelievers.  It has to be more than bringing our friends to church to let the pastors do all the work; and it has to include pursuing all people, while remaining sensitive and full of love. Leading someone in a prayer of salvation and repentance must always be accompanied with discipleship, what is the point of creating large groups of “converts” and allowing them to all melt away?  That is not the model that Christ, or the apostles, left us.  It was a lifetime investment, founded on relationship, in which they would gladly spend and be spent, so that God would be known. 

First be their friend, and when Christ in you builds a relationship with them… they will listen.

2 comments:

  1. "Preach the Gospel (at all times),
    if necessary, use words"

    is the first thing that comes to mind...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked this entry Cy; it's reflective in a refreshing way and very sensitive.

    Thanks for all your postings, I enjoy reading them.


    Safe Travels into Costa Rica! =)

    ReplyDelete