Saturday, May 22, 2010

Good 'ol Californ-i-a

As history will show I am not the best at updating my blog. With what feels like 3 months of my life has been lived in the last week and a half, I'll give myself a break on this one. For those who have supported me in my work this summer and want to keep tabs, forgive my lack of responses... I hope it won't happen again.

Starting a week ago from Thursday (8 days ago) I was still in the great state of Tennessee, since then I have driven through 10 different states, made a two day visit to Colorado, Listened to Tony Dungy's book Quiet Strength on CD... twice... moved into my summer California residence, got situated in the Seahorse office, made it to 3 days of training and played in our match this evening... No wonder it felt like 3 months

While I could go into details on a lot of these events, time is just now starting to catch up with me and hopefully I won't find myself nearly as busy to where I can't make a weekly post, if not more regular than that.

The most recent event, our road game against Ventura County Fusion, was a lesson in itself. I found myself back in the action, exactly where I left off from last season. Unfortunately, my season ended last summer with a Concussion on the same field with a run in with the keeper... I had almost wished I had been knocked out this game. We lost 3-0, and I can't say I was pleased with my performance. We'll just say I had a lot more kinks to work out than I thought, and I took home quite a few lessons from this game.

Coach had enough confidence to start me at left back, which I thought may happen because I had a decent week of practice... but I still wouldn't bet my house on it, or my lunch money. The team seems to be a lot different from last year, we appear stronger in some areas and may need to focus more on different areas from last year. Either way, today was not only a bad day for myself... it didn't seem to be anyone's day in general. The performance overall was tough to watch I am sure, but hopefully we can put this one behind us and look forward to our Sunday game against the O.C. Blue Stars.

It's always hard accepting not playing (or performing) to your potential... and not only in soccer, but in other aspects of life. I don't believe anything in life is guaranteed, and that often times the best things in life require a lot of work. I was definitely reminded how much more work other players have been putting into their soccer than myself. I was also reminded of a few things Coach Dungy said in his book, which I listened to twice on my way to Colorado and California. First, I have to take this loss just like any other loss, learn from it and move past it. Second, I can't blame anyone team member, the officials, or even myself for our loss (no excuses, no explanations). And lastly, if I want to get back to where I want to be as a soccer player, I need to start doing the easy things (simple things) better than anyone else... and that my friends, is where I am going to start- the basics.

Hopefully the overall attitude of the team recognizes the areas in which we need to change, but also understands that we have to cut our loss and move on to Sunday's game and try it again, but this time doing the simple things more consistently and with more energy.

That's it for now. Hope to update you all soon about my job duties and other cool things happening in the Seahorse office.

Blessings,

Cyrus

No comments:

Post a Comment